Saturday, May 1, 2010

Procession of the Species

Oh Bellingham. Our lovely little hippie town boasts much more than access to great organic produce and fair trade coffee. And living directly on Bellingham's parade route means that we get to experience and enjoy some of the wacky, wonderful creativity of our civic brethren without leaving the house (or changing out of our pajamas.)Today was the annual Procession of the Species parade which, despite it's annual status and the posters plastering our neighborhood for weeks preceding, always manages to surprise me. I have to be honest, I'm not into parades. But B was all kinds of fired up, and his enthusiasm was infectious. So when we heard the drums, we watched with glee from the window. Then Mr. Beckett donned his own forest creature costume and we chased the procession down the street to the park. He loved it. And I'll admit, I did too. I just kept thinking about how much I love that, living where we do, adventures like this find us, as long as we're open to them.
B loved the brass band in particular, and waved to all of the big costumes and puppets, but only when their backs were turned. That's my boy. When we headed for home he said, "That parade sure turned into a fun party." Yup. Pretty much sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment