Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mother's Day Gardening Apron with Tutorial

For those garden loving moms out there, and for us daughters who waited till the last minute to think about a gift, here's a super simple (and very quick!) apron tutorial.You will need: fabric for the main body of the apron, bias tape - I used 1/2 inch bias tape because it's what I had. If I'd gone shopping for this project, I'd have used 1/2 inch for the pocket lining and something much wider for the tie.

1) Cut 2- 20 inch squares out of your main fabric. I used the same print on both sides, but this would look really nice with two different coordinating fabrics.2) Pin and sew, right sides together, leaving one side open. Turn inside out and press.
3) Pin and sew your bias tape along the unfinished (bottom) edge, leaving about 1/2 inch extra on either end.

4) Cut a second length of bias tape long enough to tie around your waist. Mine was about 65 inches long. Center and pin this along the top edge. Sew all the way from one end of the bias tape to the other.
5) Next fold the bottom edge up to the desired pocket depth and pin along the sides, tucking the 1/2 inch bias tape tails between. You could just leave this as one big pocket, or divide it into narrower ones. I marked with chalk and put a row of pins where I wanted the pocket divided.6) Sew up the sides and where you've divided your pockets. I used a zigzag stitch, since this is all visible top stitching. Press again for good measure, and you're done!I really love this apron. In fact, there's no way I'm giving it up (sorry, Mom!) but hey, I'm a mom too, so it still counts. Kind of. And since this is so quick and easy, I still have plenty of time to make another one if the guilt consumes me.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Too cool. Gotta try it now, plus I love your fabric!

    ReplyDelete