Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"Hey, Man" to "Hey, Babydoll!"

I really should have made a tutorial out of this project, but it's so easy and fast it was finished before I'd thought of taking progress pics. This was my favorite old shirt of Zion's, so soft and a little see through, just the way I like it. It's a great frumpy shirt, but I love it so much it often sneaks out of the closet (and out of the house) on non-frumpy days too. I figured that a little empire waist would make it fitted enough for public, and that a little elastic would preserve its supreme comfiness. I put the 2 ideas together and Voila! I have a new old favorite shirt.

This was so easy it's crazy, if any of you would like to try it, here's how I did it.

1) Try on the shirt and mark where you'd like your waist line to be (wouldn't need to be empire, for those of you not packin' up front.)

2) Get your measurement. Mine was just under the bust, but just measure yourself where your marked waistline will hit.

3) Cut a piece of elastic 1" shorter than the above measurement.

4) Pin elastic to the inside of your shirt at the ends, and at the side seams. Fire up the sewing machine and zig-zag stitch, stretching the elastic as you go. You're done. Easy, right?Skinny jeans and new boots, here I come. P.S. I promise that some day I'll figure out how to be a good sport about being in photos, especially for my own blog. But as the camera loves old Helen, and as she's already conveniently headless, she'll continue to be my overworked understudy.

No comments:

Post a Comment